Wednesday, July 20, 2011

PRK, Perks and Pasta

It's been a little bit since I posted and that is the result of two things. 1) Lack of anything interesting to say. If you're thinking that what I say is never interesting, well then why are you reading this? 2) I had PRK corrective eye surgery and couldn't see, therefore do much for about a week. I thought about Helen Keller during that week of eyes closed and laying on the bed quite a bit and wondered how on earth she made out. As in got by, not got her kissing game on, because you only need your lips for that! At least I had my book on tape, Their Eyes Were Watching God which was really interesting and made me think of love and being in love and how that changes everything and then I moved onto The Memory Keeper's Daughter which is not as great a piece of literature as the latter, but is still really interesting and I'm still listening to it. In fact, I apparently left a voicemail on my co-worker's cell with part of the book talking and it inevitably sounded really weird and random and she thought it was a joke but it was no joke, not funny, not at all. At least she thinks I'm a funny person who would play jokes. Guess I should play one now. Anyway, my phone randomly calls people. It's an IPhone so it's not like I can but dial someone. It's really annoying. But I have to say that phone is one of the only purchases I've ever made without regret. I have huge buyer's remorse, and even had with PRK a bit, especially since I'm not even sure I'l be 20/20 at this rate, but with the IPhone it just rocked my world and I am the happiest little camper around. And nobody's paying me to say that :)

There are always perks about those you date that are specific to that person, like I dated someone once whose family owned a hotel, so I could stay for free and I dated someone who was a gypsy who grew up in Italy so I could practice my Italian which was fab, then there was the guy I dated who was a musician, so I got to have one of my poem's recorded to his album as part of the song and sometimes he serenaded me from the stage just like is any girl's dream. Well he was the bassist so it was more of a serenade with his eyes, like "Babe, this one's for you" but there's been the singer serenader too, which girls, you know you like it.  Perks like that. Other perks could include getting discount furniture, VIP passes to parties, free Jambas whatever perk it is, there's usually something specific to that person. Like for the guys I date they get to hear an ear full about wearing seat belts and not texting and driving. Ya know, perks. So I met a guy this weekend who works for a bail bond company and he told me, "Not that you seem the type, but if you ever needed it..." Like I said, there are perks of all kinds.

Some people have these amazing talents of dancing, singing, playing music, creating the most beautiful paintings one could every envision and all I can do is practice the piano day after day and make about a snail's worth of progress. Not a painter, I can't sing, you already know about my dancing, but I do have a hidden talent. I can make a mean place of pasta. I don't cook a lot due to time, laziness and resources, but I can truly just know what needs to go into the sauce, know in my gut and put it together--a little bit of this, a lot of that--and voila. It's funny because when I was living in Italy, I did not have this gift and for a year or so after getting back to America it was even less evident and every pasta anyone made, especially my own, tasted gross, but after a bit of time, I suddenly started making these delectable dishes. I can even make the pasta without planning or buying anything, just letting my pasta intuition lead me to choose things around the house and after some concocting, people are scraping their plates. My error is that I don't write the recipes down and totally forget what it was that momentarily took away all sorrow, trouble or concerns for those partaking. The reason is because it takes like an hour to clean up the incredible catastrophe I cause in the kitchen and I'm too exhausted afterward to want to record anything. This gift is rather a miracle considering that no one believed anything I created by me would taste good since I baked my first batch of cookies in college. My sister even laughed out loud the first time she found out I was going to cook dinner. Whose laughing now, sucka! I understand more why the Italians are SO proud of their pasta, so possessive of it. It's against all rules to add salt to the pasta they make, you know. It's their masterpiece, their gift to their friends and should be perfect just like they made it. And served hot. I get so looney when people are slow arriving to the table. The pasta has to be served IMMEDIATELY. Hot. Tasty. Rich. Delicious. Mmmm. And I have to admit that I added this pasta section just because my title was really lacking with just "PRK and Perks" or "Perks and PRK" because they both seemed misleading. But how much better does my alliteration sound now? First time I've ever written to create a title, but now you get to know the joys of pasta and my hidden talent, so it was all for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment